Job Purpose Summary:
The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that Country’s Corporate Bank Business is optimally managed with the appropriate levels of co-ordination between the constituent parts of the unit. This includes ensuring that, (1) revenue potential is realized in a cost effective, low risk manner (2) the target client portfolio is developed in line with the banks stated strategic intent and, (3) maximum revenue potential of relationship officers is realized via effective coaching, training and communication.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities by Dimensions:
- Shareholder & Financial:
– Implement the bank’s approved strategy / plan to facilitate achievement of related short and long term business goals in the most effective and efficient manner.
– Oversee the development and subsequent implementation of annual plans by the individual departments / functions comprising Corporate Banking to ensure achievement of pre-set targets / objectives, including but not limited to business growth and expansion.
– Approve / amend Key Performance Indicators for the purpose of performance monitoring and quality measurement of the Corporate Banking Division and systematic monitoring of their achievements in terms of assets and liabilities.
– Manage the development and subsequent implementation of market best practices across all activities / operations comprising the Corporate and Institutional Banking Department to promote efficiencies in work processes, ultimately resulting in increased customer satisfaction.
– Review / analyze the Corporate and Institutional Banking Department management accounts (comprising the balance sheet, income statement along with the budgeted figures) on a monthly basis and positively address adverse variances noted with the respective departmental / function heads.
- Customer (Internal & External):
– Ensure the provision of value added corporate products and services to existing / potential corporate banking customers who seek banking relationships with the bank.
– Endeavour to enhance, maintain and deepen relationships with existing corporate customer base, as well as building new relationships. Ensure, by monitoring the performance of the country FI / GSF / GTB resource, that the FI customer base is developed in accordance with approved country/regional strategy for FI’s / GTB and GSF.
– Oversee the implementation and constant enhancement of the overall customer service culture within Corporate Banking team.
– Approve Service Level Agreements with other branch divisions/ departments/ units to achieve improvements in turn around time which will also help increase external customer satisfaction.
– Maintain and enhance relationships with Central Bank / other regulators and professional firms as appropriate. Ensure the promotion of the banks footprint and product and service offering through professional and other relevant forums.
– Support the local development of GAM accounts where appropriate.
– Ensure that the departmental heads provide timely and accurate information to the external and internal auditors and the Compliance function, as and when required.
- Internal (Processes, Products, Regulatory):
– Responsible for establishing and maintaining sound internal control environments across Corporate Banking team.
– Ensure that the approved strategy, business plans, budgets along with the approved policies / procedures and subsequent amendments thereto are timely communicated to the respective departmental heads to the extent these relate to their areas of responsibility, to enable them to be guided by / pursue or comply with the same.
– Strive to maintain continuous compliance of the policies / procedures with prevailing practices / regulations pertaining to Corporate Banking promulgated by the respective regulators (viz. Central Bank as well as other regulators in jurisdiction).
– Resolve / address resource issues (includes manpower and systems) faced by the respective departments / functions either directly or through timely coordination with other Group divisions / departments to enable them to meet their assigned targets.
– Oversee the roll-out of innovative corporate banking products by the respective heads of departments / functions and monitor their performance.
– Manage, control, monitor and assume responsibility for the Corporate Banking risk profile and portfolio quality in line with the expectations of Credit Committee / Executive Committee.
– Monitor / review the Corporate Banking portfolio by segment on overall basis and by product, corporate profile, country, industry and other parameters on periodic basis to evaluate the quality and performance of the same. Ensure customer revenues accord with business and return criteria.
– Lead the development of ‘early warning systems’ that highlight possible risk deterioration in the corporate credit portfolio, in order to allow for timely corrective action. Also, monitor critical portfolio caps at required intervals and take prompt action in coordination with Credit Risk when required to uphold the quality of the portfolio.
– Responsible for overseeing the overall action plans for addressing control weaknesses or compliance issues noted by Internal Audit Department, external auditors or the Compliance function.
– Coordinate Corporate Banking marketing initiatives with other line department /groups to maximize cross-selling and advisory services opportunities for the benefit of the client and the Group as a whole.
- Learning & Knowledge:
– Hold meetings with staff and assess their performance as well as the function’s overall performance on a regular basis.
– Manage all administrative operational aspects of division personnel (e.g. leave schedule, training, appraisal, remuneration etc.) in accordance with established HR policies and procedures.
– Take decisive action to ensure speedy resolution of unresolved staff grievances or conflicts within the team.
– Possess a superior knowledge of the corporate banking business, its products and related risks together with a good knowledge of operations and control.
– Identify areas for professional development of self and other staff.
– Ensure high standards of confidentiality and ethics to safeguard commercially sensitive information.
– All other ad hoc duties and/or activities related to the banks that management may request of the employee from time to time
– Bachelor/Masters (preferred) with at least 10-15 years of relevant banking experience, preferably with at least 5 years at a senior managerial position in corporate banking within a highly rated international bank.
– Well-informed of the market competitive structure, industry practices and regulations for the corporate banking segment preferably with at least 5 years’ experience in the local/ regional environment and preferably 3 years international banking experience.
Required Special Skills:
– Excellent oral and written communication skills (including report writing) in local language, English and Arabic (preferred).
– Experience in corporate product structuring.
– Superior people relationship skills and awareness of risk management concept and practices.
– Understanding of the relevant laws, regulations and practices pertaining to Corporate Banking products.
– Ability to make decisions and follow through with initiatives.
– Personal integrity, self-motivation and self-management.
– Outstanding problem solving and decision making skills.
– Planning, organizing and analytical ability.
– Familiar with the balanced scorecard approach.
– Ability to manage teams from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Operating Environment / Location:
– The referenced position will be based in assigned country and will involve liaison with the support functions. It will also entail visits to the local and international corporate banking functions, as and when required.
Framework and Boundaries:
– Group’s overall strategic plan.
– Budgetary / scorecard targets.
– Applicable policies and procedures to the extent that these pertain to Corporate & Institutional Banking.
– Relevant regulatory pronouncements of the applicable local and international regulators and related best practices.
– Instructions of the Country GM/ AGM International Corporate, GM Corporate Banking / GCEO and relevant committees.
– Delegated and re-delegated authorities as per the delegation of authority structure.
Communications and Working Relationships:
– Liaise with the other banking divisions / departments on customer service, and other support issues.
– Liaise with International Corporate and International Business Division to facilitate setting and achievement of targets, as and when needed.
– Fostering strategic alliances with various external entities (viz. corporate houses, government and semi- government entities, financial institutions etc.) for expansion of the banks Corporate & Institutional Banking business
– Director GSF, Senior RM FI & CB, Senior RM, Senior Manager TB.