EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Investment or finance experience in SME investment, with a 7+ years of a demonstrated track record in investing or financing SMEs
- Advanced degree required. An MBA is preferred, as well as CA, CFA, CIMA or ACCA.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
- Good credit management skills, as evidenced by passing OMEGA program
- Proven deal origination skills and a well-developed network with the local SME business and finance community.
- Written and spoken language fluency in English essential.
The key purpose of the role is to manage Company’s fund and program activities in a country, ensuring that quality standards are adhered to and performance targets are met. The IE is the key conductor of performance in the country and he/she actively leads and manages the investment teams to deliver on fund and program mandates and in so doing deliver the required key stakeholder outputs to customers, clients, staff and shareholders. Furthermore, the Investment Executive positions and represents Company in the country, and effectively executes brand and customer strategies in country.
The position reports to the Investment Director of the region or the Chief Investment Officer. Within the organization, the position has primary working relationships with the in-country investment team, with functional managers and with the Company leadership team. Externally, the position projects a favourable organizational image by ensuring (all round) value-adding investments, brand building and visibility / recognition.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
Fund and Program Management
- Develop annual fund activity plans and maintain fund models that meet fund/program mandate criteria
- Quality and timely reporting to investors and capital providers
- Ensure fund/ program compliance, as per governance schedules and mandates
- Maintain relationships with fund/ program investor representatives
- Support investor due diligence processes
- Fund and program performance
- Provide clear direction to the investment teams on Company and funds’ business objectives, translating and prioritizing into business performance measures.
- Ensure effective implementation of the Company model in the country including approved policies and procedures.
- Manage and ensure that value-adding business support is provided to clients and report actions implemented, results achieved, and challenges faced
- Ensure compliance in the country with operations risk and rigour requirements
- Provide expert support to investment teams, assisting them in managing transactions
Fund Manager Profitability
- Develop country business plan and budget that meets Company profitability and productivity standards
- Manage and control revenue and operational expenses in line with the approved budget, report on variances and implement corrective actions
- Report financial and investment results on a monthly basis to Leadership team, including variance analysis and plans to address variances
- Recruit, set expectations, develop and retain performing local investment team
- Ensure that team is correctly staffed, have correct skills and undergoes continuous development
- Manage Company’s performance management system and addresses poor performance.
- Motivates staff and recognize and reward excellence
- Ensure a Training and Development plan is implemented to address competence gaps
- Participate in interview panels for investment staff
- Coordinate delivery of effective support services to the countries and manage SLAs
- Ensure local offices are appropriate and in line with quality standards
- Liaise with other departments and support functions to ensure cross organizational efficiency and effectiveness
- Have at least one successor identified with a formal career development path to take to IE position
- Support the Industry Expert to deliver on their Company-wide responsibilities so that the IndEx can achieve both their in-country portfolio responsibilities as well as their Company-wide sector responsibilities
Brand Equity and Business Development
- Develop effective partnerships with local SME stakeholders
- Be a thought leader in the country on SGB impact investment
- Identify and support linkages/ opportunities within our client database for client expansion
- Ensure that market analysis of target customer trends and competitor offerings are integrated into fund and country business plans
- Identify and develop new business opportunities
- Instil a client centric culture via an effective client relationship management system
- Deal with difficult clients and complaints
- Analyse business environment and propose and assist in developing new customer and client solutions, including the in-country strategy
Management and Leadership
- Share knowledge, experience and best practice with the group
- Make quality product, process, procedure and tool suggestions to improve Company service delivery and performance
- Ensure compliance to Group Calendar, governance schedules and reporting standards